It’s time to give your deck a makeover and make it look brand new again! Through a few simple steps, you can return your deck to its original glory and create a beautiful showpiece for your yard. With the proper cleaning and refinishing, your deck will be the talk of the neighborhood and last year after year. Revitalize your deck and enjoy the beauty of its renewed finish!
1. Breathe Life Into Your Deck: Spring Cleaning to Transform
Once the dreary winter season winds down, it’s time to think about giving your outdoor deck a good sprucing up. A thorough spring clean can be the perfect way to give your deck a new lease on life. This simple, step-by-step guide will help make your entire backyard look beautiful for the upcoming spring and summer months.
Deck Cleaning To-Dos
- Remove everything from your deck. This includes furniture, rugs, and container plants.
- Sweep the deck with a broom or handheld brush operater to loosen any debris.
- Hose down the deck with a mix of water and mild detergent. Pay special attention to any areas that have buildup or mildew.
- Scrub any mildew-ridden spots with a soft bristle brush or a dedicated mildew remover.
- Once your deck has been fully scrubbed and rinsed, give it time to dry completely.
After the cleaning process is finished it’s time to think about giving your deck a makeover. A fresh coat of paint or waterproof sealant can help ensure your deck lasts through the harsh weather conditions of the months ahead. Consider repainting your existing furniture as well, or investing in some all-weather furniture that’s specifically designed for outdoor use.
2. Dispel the Grime: Start with a Thorough Cleaning
With a little bit of elbow grease and some clever cleaning supplies, you can make a huge difference to the condition of your home. All it takes is a willingness to roll up your sleeves and start scrubbing:
- Move any furniture and other obstructions, and use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt, dust and debris.
- Wipe down surfaces with soapy water and a clean sponge to remove stubborn grime and prevent it from caking.
- Mix up a stronger solution and use a stiff brush to really loosen any caked on dirt.
The key is to cover all surfaces — from the walls to the windows, to the skirting boards, and everywhere in between.
For tough areas, use a grout brush or even a toothbrush. Use a damp cloth dipped in a combination of baking soda and white vinegar on fixtures and fittings, as this is a safe option for removing dirt and grease without scratching surfaces.
Taking the time to set yourself a cleaning routine and designating one room per week (or more if you can manage it) can be a great way to keep the clutter and dirt at bay. With regular maintenance, your home will stay looking spick and span!
3. Making a Fresh Start: Sanding, Priming and Painting
Now that any repairs have been made, it’s time to move onto the fun part: preparing the surface for a paint job! Doing this step well will help to ensure the quality of finish, and that the paint job won’t need to be fixed or touched up any time soon.
- Sanding: Start by lightening the surface with a fine, sandpaper. This will bring out the pristine, pre-existing paint underneath and help the new coat to adhere better.
- Priming: Once the surface has been sanded, follow with a coat of primer to act as a sealer. Primer provides a blank canvas for the paint, and helps in achieving an even coverage.
- Painting: After the surfaces have been prepped, it’s time to break out the cans of paint! A brush and roller will ensure an even finish on walls, while it’s best to use a spray gun for more intricate pieces. Follow the instructions on the can packaging to ensure the best result.
No matter how much time and effort has been put into prepping the surface, the results of the painting job won’t be ideal if the paint isn’t suitable for the area in question and the climate. Be sure to double-check that the paint purchased meets all safety requirements for the project.
4. Finishing Touches: Rugs, Furniture and Accessories
Once your walls have been painted and everything has been moved into its new place, it’s time to take your decor to the next level. To really make the space your own, add floor rugs, furniture and accessories to finish the look and complete your room. Here are some tips for adding the finishing touches.
Floor Rugs – Dress up your floors with a fashionable area rug, or several smaller rugs placed strategically around the room. There are so many to choose from – from synthetic materials like a soft and cuddly shag rug, to natural wool and cotton rugs, these floor coverings will add texture and depth to your home. Try an all-over pattern to give the room a more sophisticated look and tie the space together.
Furniture – Don’t forget to add all the necessary furniture pieces including sofas, chairs and tables. Additional items like ottomans, benches, love seats and consoles give the room texture and provide added seating. Update existing furniture pieces with decorative pillows, throws and slipcovers to reflect your style.
Accessories – Now that you’ve established the style you like and chosen furniture pieces, pull it all together with accent pieces scattered throughout the room. Home accent items include lamps, mirrors, vases, lampshades, wall art and sculptures that complement the theme of your design. If you like the rustic look, add a modern edge to the style with some industrial-inspired pieces. Get creative and layer it up to create a cozy, inviting space.
Your deck can add so much to your outdoor space; it’s the perfect way to enjoy some quality time with the family and your friends. With a bit of hard work and know-how, it can be revitalized to look brand-spanking new! Have some fun and release your inner DIYer – you may find that your deck can be your favorite spot to hang out and relax!
One of the most enjoyable pastimes of summer may be sitting out on your deck and taking in the beautiful weather. However, if your deck has seen better days, it may not be the most inviting place to spend time. Fortunately, you can clean and refinish it to make it look like new without spending a small fortune.
Most decks become weathered and dirty over time and need regular maintenance to ensure they look their best and provide many enjoyable years of use. The first step to revitalizing your deck is to give it a good cleaning. It is important to remove all debris and dirt so that the wood can be prepared properly. A pressure washer can help remove the toughest dirt and grime. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies and avoid using too much pressure, as this could damage the wood. Once the deck is clean, you may notice some grayish discoloration from mildew and damage from the elements. These can be sanded away to reveal fresh wood.
Once the deck is well-prepared, you can refinish it by staining or sealing it. Stains and sealants come in a variety of colors and sheens and will help you revamp your deck to match its original finish or to introduce a new look. Deck stains are transparent and offer protection from sun, water and dirt. Deck sealants offer more of a glossy finish and are clear to subtly enhance your deck’s natural color. Be sure to properly apply the stain or sealant according to the product instructions and to give it ample drying time.
With a little elbow grease, you can easily revitalize your deck and make it look as good as new. A thorough cleaning and the right finishing touches can help extend the life of your deck while making the most of your outdoor living space.